The Hulbert Room was the final stage of our building project.
But why did we call it the "Hulbert Room"?
Here is the text of the leaflet explaining the decision:
We have decided to call the new hall at the front of the Barnabas Centre the Hulbert Room, in memory of Charles Hulbert (1778-1857)
Hulbert moved to Shrewsbury in 1802 to reopen an old derelict woollen mill for the manufacture of cotton products. The mill did not prosper for long due to the war with France, and closed in 1815. Hulbert's life was motivated by a profound Christian faith, and, seeing that his workers and many others in the area were untouched by the churches, he started first an evening service and then a Sunday School in the mill buildings.
At that time holding religious meetings outside traditional church buildings was most unusual. At its height the Sunday School had 600 scholars of all ages, with 100 teachers. It lasted until 1839 when the mill was finally sold.
We celebrate the faith and courage of a man who used this site not just for his material advantage but for the benefit of others and the glory of God.
We also seek to remember that over 150 years ago God was using this very site to reach local people from a culture who had drifted away from Church life.
After a century of use by the army the hearts of local Christians have again been stirred to reach out from here with the good news of Jesus Christ to our town.